"A King's Ransom" is the seventh episode of the first season of Vikings. It is the seventh episode of the series overall. It first aired on April 14, 2013. It was written by creator Michael Hirst and directed by Ken Girotti.
From their newly set up camp, the Vikings attack the Northumbrians by cover of night. They are able to capture the king's brother Aethelwulf. Ragnar demands a lot of money for the Vikings peaceful departure. King Aelle agrees to this if one the Vikings is baptized as a Christian. Rollo volunteers and is baptized. Instead of paying the monetary demands, Aelle attacks the Vikings camp. Rollo, in particular, fights extra hard to prove he hasn't forsaken his true gods. Ragnar sends Aethelwulf's body to the king and he finally pays the agreed upon amount. Back home Lagertha is ruling. Siggy offers Lagertha her service and Lagertha accepts.
- Travis Fimmel as Earl Ragnar
- Katheryn Winnick as Lagertha
- Clive Standen as Rollo
- Jessalyn Gilsig as Siggy
- Gustaf Skarsgård as Floki
- George Blagden as Athelstan
Additional Cast (in order of appearance)Edit
- Jefferson Hall as Torstein
- Tadhg Murphy as Arne
- Diarmaid Murtagh as Leif
- Angus MacInnes as Tostig
- Cathy White as Queen Ealhswith
- Sean Treacy as Ecgberht
- Tristan McConnell as Saxon Warrior
- Peter Gaynor as Lord Edgar
- Matt Ryan as Peasant Man
- Deirdre Mullins as Peasant Woman
- Cillian O'Gairbhi as Saxon Warrior 2
- Andy Kellegher as Saxon Warrior 1
- Gary Murphy as Bishop Unwan
- Jonathan Ryan as Noble 3
- James Flynn as Eadric
- Michael James Ford as Noble 2
- Alexander Downes as Noble 5
- Ruby O'Leary as Gyda
- Dean O'Neill as Viking Warrior
- Elinor Crawley as Thyri
- Maude Hirst as Helga
- Robert MacDomhnail as Viking Warrior
- When the Norsemen talk about the captured horses, Floki states that the talk of horses makes him "hungry already." This is a reference to the tradition of ritually consuming horse meat in pagan Scandinavia.
- King Aelle's villa may have been the royal estate of Ad Murum, mentioned by the Venerable Bede to have been located at Monkchester (modern Newcastle upon Tyne), as Ragnar Lothbrok and his Northmen were sighted to be sailing into Nothumbria via the Tyne River during the previous episode.
- Rebecca Quinn, better known as Becky Lynch, worked as a stunt performer for this episode prior to joining the WWE.