|Portrayed by Alexander Ludwig|
|Full name:|| Bjorn Ironside|
|Age:|| 19 (Season 2)|
12 (Season 1)
15 (Brother's War)
|Allegiance:|| Ragnar Lothbrok|
|Significant Other/s:||Porunn (lover)|
|Parents:|| Ragnar Lothbrok (father)|
|Siblings:|| Gyda† (sister)|
|Also portrayed by:|| Nathan O'Toole|
(Season 1 & 2)
|First appearance:||"Rites of Passage"|
|“||For a long time, father, I feel I have carried nothing else but memories. But now, here, in this place, with you, and with my mother, I feel... reborn. As if I have a life to lead.||”|
Björn Ironside is the son of Ragnar Lothbrok and Lagertha. Intelligent and determined, Björn had made a name for himself, following in his father's footsteps as a formidable warrior, fighter, and explorer.
Season 1 Edit
Upon turning 12 and coming of age in Viking society, Björn received his arm ring from the then reigning Earl Haraldson. Björn had yearned to be a warrior like his father, desperate for recognition as a man and to fight in the raids with his father, but his youth and inexperience hold him back. Björn is a loyal and dutiful son to both parents, and showed no fear when he broke up a physical fight between his parents in Wrath of the Northmen.
Though obedient to his parents, Björn resented being put under the supervision of the young Northumbrian monk Athelstan who was captured as a slave from Lindisfarne.
Brought along by Ragnar on his trip to Gotaland for King Horik, Björn was witness to the beginning of his father's relationship with Aslaug. Disgusted, Björn confronted his father about his infidelity, making him swear that it will never happen again. While Ragnar did promise this and tried to keep it, Aslaug had already become pregnant with a son.
Season 2 Edit
Upon their return to Kattegat, Björn told Lagertha of Aslaug and his father's infidelity, though he did not say much out of loyalty to Ragnar. When Lagertha decided to leave Ragnar, Björn was torn. Though he initially decided to stay with Ragnar, through Torstein's urging, Björn eventually decided to go with his mother. Ragnar let them, telling Björn to look after his mother.
Even years after their departure, Ragnar continued to think of them. When he met with the Seer, the oracle told him that he had foreseen that his sons would become famous, possibly even more than him. His son, the Seer said, would marry the daughter of a king, or would sail across a sea without tides. Ragnar asked about Björn, whether he still lived, and whether he would ever see him again. The Seer told him that it was Björn about whom he had prophesied.
Meanwhile, under the thumb of his oppressive new stepfather, the 18-year-old Björn hoped to live alone in the mountains to test his strength and skills. His stepfather, Lagertha's new husband Earl Sigvard, who often sought to shame and humiliate him in front of his subjects, refused. Around this time, Björn discovered that Sigvard had been hitting Lagertha, much to his anger. Björn told his mother that if he continued to hurt her, he will kill him.
When Björn heard of the capture of Kattegat by Jarl Borg, he tried to get Lagertha to persuade Sigvard to assist Ragnar. Sigvard refused, spitefully, but Lagertha marshals a force anyway and rides to assist Ragnar. Locating Ragnar, Lagertha and Björn are a welcome sight. Ragnar particularly marvels at how tall and powerful Björn has grown.
After his performance in battle against the West Saxons in The Choice, Björn is given the epithet 'Ironside' by Ragnar.
Björn was raised with the typical Northman conduct. He values his family and is devoted to both of his parents. Björn, since he was young, yearned to become a warrior like his parents; now old enough, Björn is more than ready to prove himself in battle.
- As a young adult in Season 2, Björn's status in Norse society appears to be that of a Drengr, who is a young man of fighting age, particularly from a middle to upper-class background. If he was granted land by his father, an earl, Björn could become a Thegn and be able to lead men into battle.
- As both his father and mother became the respective earls of Kattegatt and Hedeby as of the episode Blood Eagle, Björn could potentially inherit a strong powerbase for his future rise in Norse society.
- As of the Season 2 finale, and with the deposition of King Horik and his family from power, Björn along with his half-brothers, now hold the status of Budlungr or 'prince' in Norse society, now that his father is King of Denmark.
- The saga Tale of Ragnar's Sons states that Björn would come to rule over most of Sweden, including the centre of the Aesir religion in Gamla Uppsala, after the death of his father.
- In Norse society, you where not supposed to say the actual word for bear out of fear of summoning the creature, hence the word "björn" (bear) was used instead and eventually became the widely used word and the old name was forgotten. Likewise, ulf or ulfr, the Norse word for wolf was avoided and the word "vargr" was used instead. "Vargr" means outlaw.
|Season one appearances|
|Rites of Passage||Wrath of the Northmen||Dispossessed|
|Trial||Raid||Burial of the Dead|
|A King's Ransom||Sacrifice||All Change|
|Season two appearances|
|Brother's War||Invasion||Treachery||Eye For an Eye||Answers in Blood|
|Unforgiven||Blood Eagle||Boneless||The Choice||The Lord's Prayer|