"Born Again" is the sixth episode of the third season of Vikings. It is the twenty-fifth episode of the series overall. It first aired on March 26, 2015. It was written by creator Michael Hirst and directed by Helen Shaver.
Preparations for the Paris raid pick up pace. Porunn and Judith both deliver children, and with new life there is also death. Athelstan tells Ragnar of his re-connection to his Christian faith. Floki interprets a sign from the gods that a sacrifice should be made.
Þórunn gives birth to a girl, Siggy. A farmer, Stender, returns from Wessex and tells Ragnar about Aethelwulf's massacre. Athelstan has a sign from God. In Wessex, Judith gives birth to a son, but is then sentenced to having her ears and nose cut off for adultery. After one ear is removed, she reveals that Athelstan is the father. King Ecbert says the child is sent from God and will be christened Alfred. Earl Kalf leads a fleet to Kattegat to join the raid on Paris, along with King Horik's son Erlendur, and Jarl Borg’s widow Torvi. Rollo reveals that Athelstan no longer wears his arm band. Floki receives a sign that "blood must be spilt", and kills an accepting Athelstan while he's praying. Ragnar carries Athelstan's body up the side of the mountain for burial.
- Travis Fimmel as King Ragnar
- Katheryn Winnick as Lagertha/Earl Ingstad
- Clive Standen as Rollo
- Jessalyn Gilsig as Siggy (archive footage)
- Gustaf Skarsgård as Floki
- George Blagden as Athelstan
- Alexander Ludwig as Bjorn
- Alyssa Sutherland as Queen Aslaug
- Ben Robson as Earl Kalf
- Linus Roache as King Ecbert
- Moe Dunford as Prince Aethelwulf
- Maude Hirst as Helga
- Gaia Weiss as Þorunn
- Jennie Jacques as Princess Judith
- Søren Pilmark as Stender
Additional Cast (in order of appearance)Edit
- Cathál Ó'Hallin as Hvitserk
- Cormac Melia as Ubbe
- Jill Harding as Judith's Maid
- Eva Bartley as Midwife
- Jonathan Gunning as Priest
- Philip O'Sullivan as Bishop Edmund
- Greg Orvis as Earl Siegfried
- Edvin Endre as Erlendur
- Georgia Hirst as Torvi
- Frankie McCafferty Sinric
Episode Deaths Edit
- Kevin Durand and Lothaire Bluteau are not credited and do not appear in this episode.
- This episode marks the final appearance of Athelstan. However, he also appears in a brief vision of Ragnar's in "Breaking Point", in which George Blagden is credited in the opening sequence.
- Jessalyn Gilsig is credited in the opening sequence as some archive footage of Siggy from "Scarred" appears in this episode.