"In the Uncertain Hour Before the Morning" is the fourteenth episode of the fourth season of Vikings. It is the forty-third episode of the series overall. It first aired on December 21, 2016. It was written by creator Michael Hirst and directed by Sarah Harding.
Lagertha fulfills her long-held ambition to take Kattegat; King Ecbert must decide whether to hand his friend, Ragnar, over to King Aelle, who has sworn revenge on him.
In Kattegat, Aslaug gives up to Lagertha and renounces herself as Queen, promising her sons will not seek revenge. In exchange, she wants safe passage to leave. Lagertha initially agrees, only to kill Aslaug with an arrow to the back. Ubbe and Sigurd arrive to find Lagertha in Kattegat's great hall. Ubbe challenges Lagertha's warriors in an attempt to kill her, but fails. The next day, Ubbe and Sigurd wake up next to Astrid, who says they are dead men if they touch Lagertha. In Wessex, Ragnar and Ivar are seized by Aethelwulf. Ecbert arrives and promises no harm will come to Ivar. Ecbert expresses regret over the Viking settlement, and frees Ragnar from his cage. The two discuss heaven, valhalla, as well as the death of Athelstan, which Ragnar says weighs on his conscience. Ragnar asks Ecbert to kill him, but Ecbert refuses. Instead, Ecbert agrees to hand Ragnar over to King Aelle and arrange safe passage for Ivar to go home, and Ragnar promises that his sons will not seek vengance against Wessex.
Recap Video Edit
- Travis Fimmel as King Ragnar
- Katheryn Winnick as Lagertha
- Alyssa Sutherland as Queen Aslaug
- John Kavanagh as The Seer
- Moe Dunford as Prince Aethelwulf
- Alex Høgh as Ivar
- Jordan Patrick Smith as Ubbe
- David Lindström as Sigurd
- Linus Roache as King Ecbert
- Josefin Asplund as Astrid
- Ida Marie Neilsen as Margrethe
- Georgia Hirst as Torvi
- Jennie Jacques as Princess Judith
Additional Cast (in order of appearance)Edit
- Paul Booth as Saxon Officer
- Chris McHallem as Saxon Noble
- Cameron Hogan as Magnus
- Issac O'Sullivan as Alfred
Episode Deaths Edit
- Queen Aslaug
- This is the first episode of the series which has not featured Floki.
- This episode marks the death of Aslaug.