This is the first season not to feature Travis Fimmel as King Ragnar. The season, consisting of 20 episodes, is split into two ten-episode parts just like the previous season, with the first part airing from November 29th 2017 till January 2018 while the second part returns on Wednesday, November 28 at 9 PM ET/PT - it was announced from San Diego Comic-Con International 2018. An exclusive trailer from the mid-season five premiere was unveiled to nearly 5,000 fans during the “Vikings” cast panel held in Ballroom 20 on Friday, July 20 at Comic-Con.
In Norway, in the wake of the death of King Ragnar and his son Sigurd, the sons of Ragnar are in civil war. Ivar claims the title of king over the kingdom of Kattegat, supported by Hvitserk and king Harald. Ubbe sides with Lagertha against their alliance. In England, King Aethelwulf and bishop Heahmund wage war against the Nordic invaders. In the Mediterranean, Bjorn follows his destiny as he and Halfdan explores northern Africa. On the Atlantic, Floki makes a discovery that will change the world of the Norsemen forever.
In Norway, Lagertha's army is on the brink of being routed from Kattegat, with Ivar prepared to captured the city and claim his revenge. In England, after the passing of King Aethelwulf, Aethelred rallied the Lords behind his half-brother Alfred and proclaimed him King of Wessex. In Iceland, the feud between the families of Kjetill and Eyvind escalate to the point where each of their sons are killed. Determined to prevent further bloodshed, Floki offers himself as a sacrifice.
Season five returns on November 28 with the arrival of a legendary Viking, the famous Duke Rollo (Clive Standen), who causes further upheaval in a Kattegat still reeling from Ivar the Boneless becoming its King. As Bjorn (Alexander Ludwig) and Lagertha flee Ivar’s murderous forces with Bishop Heahmund (Jonathan Rhys Meyers), Ivar’s tyrannical reign over Scandinavia ushers in a new Dark Age, the likes of which have never been seen. Ultimately, Ivar’s reign will not go unchallenged by the sons of Ragnar and old enemies will become allies to defeat the despot who has declared himself a God on earth. Meanwhile in Iceland, Floki (Gustaf Skarsgård) battles the elements, and his own settlers’ desire for revenge, to forge a Viking colony on the beautiful and desolate landscape.
- It was officially announced on March 17, 2016, five episodes into the show's fourth season run.
- Hirst discussed Vikings and the possibility of Season 6. Season 6 was confirmed.
- Season 5 kicked off with a double episode premiere.
- Katheryn Winnick as Queen Lagertha (9 episodes)
- Gustaf Skarsgård as Floki (10 episodes)
- Clive Standen as Rollo (1 episode)
- Alexander Ludwig as Prince Bjorn "Ironside" (9 episodes)
- John Kavanagh as The Seer
- Peter Franzén as King Harald "Finehair" (9 episodes)
- Jasper Pääkkönen as Halfdan the Black (9 episodes)
- Moe Dunford as King Aethelwulf (9 episodes)
- Alex Høgh as Prince Ivar the Boneless (10 episodes)
- Marco Ilsø as Prince Hvitserk (10 episodes)
- Jordan Patrick Smith as Prince Ubbe (10 episodes)
- Jonathan Rhys Meyers as Bishop Heahmund (10 episodes)
Special Appearance By
- Davina Eriksdottir (fiction character)
- Jennie Jacques as Queen Judith
- Georgia Hirst as Torvi
- Josefin Asplund as Astrid
- Ida Marie Nielsen as Margrethe
- Frankie McCafferty as Sinric
- Adam Copeland as Kjetill "Flatnose"
- Kris Holden-Ried as Eyvind 
- Ferdia Walsh-Peelo as Alfred / King Alfred
- David Wellington (2 episodes)
- Ciaran Donnelly (2 episodes)
- Steve Saint Leger (2 episodes)
- Jeff Woolnough (2 episodes)
- Daniel Grou (2 episodes)
- See also: Episodes
|5.01||50||The Departed Part 1||November 29, 2017|
|Tensions mount between the sons of Ragnar Lothbrok; with King Aethelwulf and his family still in hiding, Heahmund, the warrior bishop, rallies the Saxons to defend the Realm, as the Great Army moves to take York.|
|5.02||51||The Departed Part 2||November 29, 2017|
Ivar is determined to lead the Great Army as the Vikings establish their stronghold in York; in Kattegat, Lagertha misjudges King Harald and pays a heavy price; Floki arrives at a mysterious land.
|5.03||52||Homeland||December 6, 2017|
|Celebrations are cut short in the aftermath of the battle at York; Ragnar Lothbrok's sons are pitted against each other as tensions reach an all-time high, and each one is forced to choose a side.|
|5.04||53||The Plan||December 13, 2017|
|Guided by Bishop Heahmund's visions, the Saxons devise a battle plan; Ivar the Boneless strategizes as the Vikings undergo increasing pressure; Bjorn Ironside finds himself in a new territory and must convince the local commander he is a trader.|
|5.05||54||The Prisoner||December 20, 2017|
|Ivar meets his match in Bishop Heahmund; Floki returns to Kattegat; Bjorn receives a lavish welcome in North Africa.|
|5.06||55||The Message||December 27, 2017|
|Lagertha is betrayed, and Bjorn must find a way to support the distraught queen; Floki and his settlers arrive in a new land, but it is far from what they expected.|
January 3, 2018
|Bjorn returns to Kattegat to learn that an attack will take place during the next full moon; Ivar must decide if he can place his trust in a former enemy on the battlefield.|
|5.08||57||The Joke||January 10, 2018|
|The battle for Kattegat begins; as the two armies line up to fight, the Great Heathen Army must decide between a final plea for peace or all-out war; Floki faces discord among the settlers.|
|5.09||58||A Simple Story||
January 17, 2018
|The army leaders consider their options in the aftermath of the battle; in Floki's camp, all hopes of binding the community together are dashed as tragedy unfolds.|
|5.10||59||Moments of Vision||
January 24, 2018
|A sense of doom looms over Kattegat as bloodshed ensues; the defeated army flees in the face of the victors, and a legendary warrior makes his way home.|
|5.11||60||TBA||November 28, 2018|
- ↑ http://deadline.com/2016/03/vikings-renewed-season-5-history-jonathan-rhys-meyers-1201722220/
- ↑ http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/vikings-season-4-finale-deaths-970810
- ↑ http://www.ibtimes.com.au/vikings-season-5-get-ready-2-hour-premiere-1561322?rel=most_shared4
- ↑ http://deadline.com/2016/07/wwe-star-edge-adam-copeland-vikings-season-5-recurring-history-channel-1201792909/
- ↑ http://cartermatt.com/222663/vikings-season-5-lost-girl-alum-signs-major-role/