"The Choice" is the ninth episode of the second season of Vikings. It is the eighteenth episode of the series overall. It first aired on April 24, 2014. It was written by creator Michael Hirst and directed by Ken Girotti.
Ragnar's warriors march on to King Ecbert's villa and are met with a surprisingly vicious welcome party.
While reviewing old Roman texts with Athelstan, Ecbert realises a way to defeat the Vikings in battle. Horik leads the Viking raiders downhill towards what he thinks is the Wessex army, but Ecbert catches the Vikings between two mounted pincer movements and defeats the Vikings. Rollo is badly injured, but is recognised by Athelstan and taken back to Winchester. Ragnar names his son Björn Ironside, as he is unscathed in the battle. Ælla wants to destroy the remaining Vikings but instead Ecbert decides to offer the Vikings land and employ them as mercenaries to fight against Mercia. Rollo is returned to the Vikings, and a number volunteer as mercenaries for Kwenthrith. Athelstan abandons Ecbert, and returns to Kattegat with the remaining Vikings. In the meantime, Aslaug has made Porunn a free woman.
- Travis Fimmel as Earl Ragnar
- Katheryn Winnick as Lagertha/Earl Ingstad
- Clive Standen as Rollo
- Jessalyn Gilsig as Siggy
- Gustaf Skarsgård as Floki
- George Blagden as Athelstan
- Alexander Ludwig as Bjorn
- Alyssa Sutherland as Princess Aslaug
- Donal Logue as King Horik
- Linus Roache as King Ecbert
Additional Cast (in order of appearance)Edit
- Jefferson Hall as Torstein
- Edvin Endre as Prince Erlendur
- Moe Dunford as Prince Aethelwulf
- Philip O'Sullivan as Bishop Edmund
- Sarah Greene as Princess Judith
- Cathál Ó'Hallin as Hvitserk
- Cormac Melia as Ubbe
- Carrie Crowley as Elisef